Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Help my unbelief!

Thinking is a dangerous thing
And as I wander down the road
Assailed by the beauty of your creation Lord,
My thoughts besiege me
And I find myself in a place of sorrows

There is so much I want to be true
I want to be generous and not greedy
I want to be kind and not indifferent
I want my staff to be happy
I want my church to grow
I want to be attentive and not scattered
I want work to be stable
I want to have been a better father
I want to be disciplined not impulsive
I want to be attentive and not scattered

I want
I want

And as I wander this profound sense is there
That I can’t do this
I can’t make it through the next day
I can’t deal with the gap of suffering
Between what I want, and what I have

I know I should believe
I a minister, of sorts
Certainly a flawed and vulnerable sort

I want to believe
But mostly I’m just confused
And maybe Lord
That is just where I am meant to be
Confused
Flawed
Vulnerable
With a profound sense that I can’t do this
Can’t make it through the next day
next hour

Without you
Lord I believe
Help my unbelief! (Mark 9:24)

2 comments:

  1. It is never to late to be a better father, better person, better example. The time is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes
    that would be very true
    each moment should be a moment of trying to follow the "bread crumbs" of God and move with God into the next moment

    ReplyDelete