Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, December 8, 2011

Self Talk

To know, know know me is to......
What is it any way?

To love me?
 I don’t think so.

Oh, I look Ok to most people.
A little chubby,
A little the worse for wear
But not bad.

A reasonably nice guy

I don’t kick cats
Beat kids
Or steal from widows.

My epidermal self is pretty good.
I can make almost anyone think I’m nice
For a while.

But get under my skin
And its another story.

Look beyond what I can do
To who I am

Look beyond the surface
To the heart

Look at me closely
And you will quickly change your mind.

There I am, Rolling in the ooze and slime and old decay
A thing of darkness
Better left alone.

_____________________________________

I have always struggled with self-talk
I don't talk nicely to me :)
Nor do most of the people I work with as a counselor
And sometimes things happen in life.
We make a mistake
We face difficult times
Even, perhaps rejection....

and our inner committee (or ins some cases Jury) goes to work
and our self talk is negative and destructive...

But there are always two versions to the story
Our version, and God's
And in God's version we are always loved
Always accepted
Always worth time and energy, and yes forgiveness

Think of the prodigal son whose version of the story was that he was not worthy of being a son
Not God's version at all.  He was still seen as a beloved child

Think of the elder brother whose version of the story was one of neglect and rejection
But God gently noted that he had received many gifts, and was always, always loved.

Right now my self-talk is not very positive
But I do know one thing
God's version of my story is far better than mine :)


No comments:

Post a Comment