Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, April 4, 2012

magnificent defeat

I always loved a parade
But today I stand
Surrounded by the flotsam 
Torn cloaks and beaten branches

Dust and rocks
and the empty echoes of excited shouts

Hooray! We had cried
Here he comes!  He is on his way!
The miracle man!
The one!

Here's the one who will set things straight.... VOTE FOR HIM!
A vote for him is a vote for Jewish values!
He'll be tough on our enemies!

We shouted
Danced
And generally made fools of ourselves

For what?  A scruffy guy from the sticks
Riding on a baby donkey, for God's sake!
 
He smiled gently
and simply moved down the road
down the road into confrontation
rejection
betrayal
into the shadows
 
Lord I am confused!
I thought I knew what you were about O God
and now I am confused
I am less sure about everything
About you.  About what you stand for and how you work
About myself, who I am, and who I am called to be!
 
So I stand in the dust
and gaze after one small figure
as it moves through the dust
toward the darkness
 
dazed and confused
I wonder
 
Perhaps it is time to quit trying to figure it out
and just follow
just follow
down that road
into the hungering dark
into that magnificent defeat
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment