Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Gaze of God

Those eyes
that stare at me so balefully
what do they see?
they are eyes that
see me through the lens
of every fear, every failure
every expectation and hope
they look at me and see me 
not as I am
but as less
and perhaps, at times
as more than I am
they see every flaw
and wrinkle
those eyes in the mirror 
can haunt me sometimes
And what about those other eyes?
The eyes that see me each day
as boss
or pastor
or friend
what do they see
do they mirror me as I am
or is that image too distorted
by their fears, or hopes or expectations?
does anyone see the real me?
 Ah yes!
there are those eyes
that see me perfectly

it is in the gaze of God
that I can find
me
 ____________________________________________________
The gaze of God receives us exactly as we are, without judgment or
distortion, subtraction or addition. Such perfect receiving is what
transforms us. Being totally received as we truly are is what we wait
and long for all of all our lives. All we can do is receive and return
the loving gaze of God every day, and afterwards we will be internally
free and deeply happy at the same time. 
                                                                          Richard Rohr

No comments:

Post a Comment