Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, May 10, 2012

The way up is the way down

It really bugs me God
that life doesn't come with a handbook

I always thought it would have been nice
if you would have given me a little tome

Tips for the Road

I spent so much time trying to do it right
I was taught
by well meaning parents
and well meaning pastors
that this was the way to go

strive
do it right
follow the rules
I learned a spirituality of perfection
and I was miserable
and frankly....

well frankly I became spiritually challenged

But you taught me a big lesson God
somewhere along the way

You taught me that it is OK to strive
and work to do and be my best
but you taught me it is also OK to fail
and forgive
and include imperfection
For God it has been from the depths
that I have been able to reach feebly for the heights
Thank you God for the spirituality of imperfection
For teaching me that I grow spiritually much more
by doing it wrong than by doing it right (thank you Richard Rohr)
it is when I fall apart
and my carefully engineered life collapses

it is in losing, failing, falling, in sin
that I find the mystery of grace
and you
 
the way down
my God
is often the way up
to grace
and to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment