Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Importance of Grateful Eyes

It was one of those days
Not a terrible, horrible, very bad day
I have no plans to move to Australia

But a day in which many things 
did not happen the way I expected

I bought a plan, that isn't quite right
I got my chainsaw back from the shop
and it promptly wouldn't start
the tree I felled 
fell on the fence

I had plans for the evening
that didn't happen
a friend called in distress

and that is when it hit me
why I was limping along
emotionally
like a weekend warrior who had
done too much
I had forgotten something 
part of the recipe of joy
My friend say he was praying
hard
for patience, healing stregnth, grace, love
so many things
"Am I missing anything"
and then it hit me
what I least I was missing
gratitude
my eyes were full of the difficulties
things that weren't "just so"
the irritants
the things that caused pain...
and in the midst of all that 
my eyes had not seen
the gifts!
The beauty of the blue sky
the gentle coolness of a breeze on a hot day
The smell of fresh cut juniper
the gift on being wonderfully connected with a friend
the gift of love given
and received
the amazing sensation of cold water
going down a parched through
the amazing green of a freshly watered lawn

Gratitude
seeing the gifts
no, things may not always be the way I want them
no, not everything resolves into solutions, or endings I like
but still
I can have grateful eyes
and my heart can smile

No comments:

Post a Comment