Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, August 26, 2012

An August afternoon

it is a warm afternoon

the dog days of August
dry
dusty
smoke in the air from fires

I am sitting here alone
thinking
always a dangerous thing

here I am
60 something

you would think I would have it all figured out by now
this whole
life thing

but it seems the longer I live
the less I know
the less effective I am

right now I am feeling pretty much alone
Oh there is God
I know that....
God's pretty cool that way

But other than that?
not so much

How does one live this long
and have almost no one who really gives a shit....
about you?

I know people respect what I can do
At least I hope they do....

but I have this deep down feeling
that while people like what I can do, they don't really like me

Yes, I know, it is pathetic to be saying something like this outloud
but sometimes we just have to say what we feel
and what I feel is alone

and so on this August afternoon
I will mow my lawn
and wish that I felt like i was the most important person
to one person, just one
in this world
blessings my friends
treasure the people in your lives 
who love you
and show it

2 comments:

  1. Steve, i know the feeling. I want you to know that people, like myself, care about you. Not because you're a good, thought provoking pastor, brilliant, or a renaissance man of many talents, which is all true. We care because you do. You seek to help others be their best, to make the world better, one person at a time. I know this compliment may, by nature, bounce off your intellectual shell, but I hope your heart hears the ricochet.

    ReplyDelete