Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, August 23, 2012

I am concerned

During my morning ritual I usually read "the news"
is there any such thing any more?

I usually read the opinions put out there by the various "news" agencies
And right now its mostly about politics
I really shouldn't do that.  It is not good for my blood pressure.

What I am feeling is that I am not getting any straight objective information
from anybody,

What is sense is that what we are getting from everyone in this election is lies and misrepresentations.
That is very frustrating.  How do I know how to vote?
How do I know what has really gone on, and what will happen going forward,
if no one will be honest about themselves or others?

As a therapist, I would find it impossible to help a person with so little insight
about reality
about themselves
find a way forward

How can a country, with so little insight
about the facts, about reality
about itself
and its fears, and prejudices, and greed
find its way forward?

I fear that it can't

And when I think about things biblically, it gets even worse

I am concerned about our country. About the way so many want us to go a direction that has a vast potential to hurt the poor, the weak, the ill, the elderly..... while benefiting those who already have the power and the money.  Yes, I am biased.  I admit it.  I don't see how cutting programs for the poor, cutting all the jobs that go with those programs, putting the burden of care on the middle class, while continuing to put power and money in the hands of people who have proven they don't use either wisely, is going to "create jobs" or build America.  I don't see how regulating peoples personal lives while not regulating big business is going to take American forward (I reserve the right to be wrong, but that is just where mine thinking is right now). So I am concerned.

I am reminded of Jesus comments, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed".

This makes me struggle spiritually, and makes me wonder how a country as blessed as ours can be so ruled by the powers of greed, and, well power. America today reminds me of Solomon's empire. Which with its focus on accumulation and protection of accumulation, its massive neglect of the poor, its policies which made its own people virtual slaves, and its massive military spending, had become much like Egypt, the place of oppression from which Israel had been freed. The oppressed were now the oppressors. God was not happy! Is that where we are headed?  


I do not think, Biblically, that asking those with resources to help those in need is the wrong thing to do.  Think about the year of Jubilee, where the wealth of the nation (in the form of land, it was an agrarian society) was to be pooled and redistributed.  That is God's idea of a tax code.  Talk about taxes!!!

What is going on in America is scary from a Biblical perspective, as I believe it runs counter to what I think Jesus actually was concerned about.

My thoughts this morning. Lets all think, and pray
Blessings my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment