Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, September 20, 2012

In Memory of Scott

I remember wondering
who the heck is this?!

Scott was nothing if not unique
With that mop of hair
His gap toothed smile
That nose, oh that nose

There were plenty of distractions with Scott
a smile that filled up his whole face
his smokers laugh

that laugh, did I mention his laugh?

There were his clothes
Oh I know
People didn't quite know what to do with
ear rings
ladies shoes
with that odd mixture of male and female
that was Scott

He didn't quite know what to do with that either

Sometimes people couldn't get past those distractions
All they could see were things they didn't understand
It was their loss.

All you had to do was spend a little time
and soon all you could see was Scott
all you could see was that amazing
gentle
giving 
heart

Scott was all heart
it came out in his music
in that raspy bass 
in the 1970's hits he would play on his guitar

It came out in his words
He would often be silent
listening, taking it all in
and then he would speak
wisdom

wisdom that came out of being an alcoholic
and being in recovery
from being rejected
and loved
from living life fully, and hard

Oh yes he was wise
one learned to listen to him
(I would often glance over during sermons... to make sure my wisdom was measuring up)

It came out in his many acts of service
He mowed, and gathered wood
Cleaned, fixed, moved
He did anything he could, for anyone he could

You could see it in his eager learning
In his quick tears
You could feel it in his hugs

I will miss that mop of hair
Those wild ear rings
Those crazy shoes
I will miss him standing by me
playing the guitar

I will miss my friend
But I will not miss his heart
It is still here
He gave it away
And each one of us has a piece in our hearts
_____________________________________________________-
This summer at a choir camp one particular song really touched Scott's heart
Here are the words. They seem particularly appropriate right now
No time to tarry here,
No time to wait for you,
No time to tarry here
For I'm on my journey home.

Brothers, oh fare you well,
Brothers, oh fare you well,
Brothers, oh fare you well,
For I'm on my journey home.

No time to tarry here,
No time to wait for you,
No time to tarry here,
For I'm on my journey home.

Welcome home Scott!

4 comments:

  1. He must have been a heck of a man! Thank you for your insight and your tribute to your friend for all of us to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott taught me to not be as judgmental as I tend to be. He taught me to listen. He taught me to be a better Christian. He taught me to forgive.

    He was as Pastor Steve said-- He was unique!

    He will be missed!

    Scott Colony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Steve for your love for Scott You truly understood the heart that I dearly loved.

    ReplyDelete