Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The art of self-compassion

It happens sometimes without warning
In a conversation
A meeting
On a walk through the woods

Suddenly
Inexplicably
I feel it!

That shift
That emotional slip that leaves me
out of balance

Like one who 
stepping on ice unknown
must flail 
and struggle
just to stay up

My mood drops
and suddenly I am
slipping and slidding on
the uncertain surface of fear, or anger
or worse, despair

And then I know
It is time to listen to myself!

From the day I was born
I have stored in my mind
countless opinion, beliefs
expectations

Countless experieneces
They are all there
good bad and indifferent

and life happens
and the tapes get played

Remember when you failed?
No one has ever really liked you!
You are a bad person
You are not enough

But the problem is I don't even hear my own voice
Those thoughts roar through my head unchecked
and unchallenged
Sometimes it is time to listen to myself!
Hey, what just happened here?
Where did that come from?
What did I just say to myself!?
Sometimes it is time to listen
to notice the layers of pain
the hateful self talk
the old stories of abandonment and loss
the rejections and disappointments.

Sometimes it is time to challenge
To breathe deeply
To have compassion
To breathe with compassion

And to say to myself
"I hear your pain
 May you be safe
 May you be healed
 May you be happy
 May you be ....
At ease!

No comments:

Post a Comment