Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, October 21, 2012

Who is my Neighbor?

A lawyer once asked Jesus
Who is my neighbor?

Ah, those tricky lawyer types
Always looking for a way to trap and confuse

But Jesus told a story
of three men on a road
kind of reminds one
of all those horrible jokes...

three men walked into a bar
three men were in a boat

but in this case three men walked down a road
and saw a man
beaten and bloody

it is then the story gets interesting

there are lots of things one can say about this story
but for me the story revolves around that 
man
the one in the dirt

the neighbor

the point is this
we have this horrible tendency 
to narrow our concept of neighbor
you are my neighbor if...

you look good
you are safe
you are not needy
you are the same color as me
you are a Republican (or Democrat)
you have a job
a home
you don't drink
you don't some
you don't chew
and don't go with girls that do
believe like me
act like me
dress like me
are wired sexually, just like me....

but I am becoming more and more convinced
that my neighbor
is that person
I just happen to run in to
in the store
at church
on the street


forgive me God
when I do not see
the neighor
you put in my path

No comments:

Post a Comment