Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday morning, six o'clock

Saturday morning
Six o'clock

a night full of restless turning
weird dreams
from everything about football
to totally transforming the church
and electric cars

but also thoughts about life
and death
about my friend Duke
whose funeral service I will lead today
about families
and love
 
and God
 
about God on the cross
in Jesus
saying in effect
 
"This is how evil is transformed into good!
I am going to take the worst thing and turn it into the best thing,
so you will never be victimized, destroyed or helpless again!
I am giving you the victory over all death"
 
and I am reminded
even as my coffee cools
and the cat at my feet complains
and I look anxiously towards this day
 
that because God is God
and did what God did
I can know that making my life count is not about moral achievement (thank God)
or attaining some sort of standard
or being enough, by my efforts,
 by trying harder,
 
but that my life counts
just as Duke's life counted
and Scott's life counted
and Dan's life counted
because of Christ
God's perfection abiding in each of us

I know that none of us needs, any longer
 to seek perfection from our own efforts
but only the perfection that comes from faith and is from God

that life is about the mystery
the secret
Christ in us
Connecting with  the wholeness that is God
a mutual indwelling
 
It is about the divine union
love connecting with love
love flowing like the life giving sap in the vine
 
and nothing less
and nothing more

maybe it will be a good Saturday after all

No comments:

Post a Comment