Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I Am

I am.....
 
How we finish that sentence matters
When Moses encountered God at the burning bush
Moses really needed a name
 
Who sends me?
and God
who cannot really be named replied
as that bush crackled and roared
and the sand grew hot beneath Moses feet
replied
 
I am
I am who I am
 
Who am I?
Who are you?
How do we label
How do we name ourselves?

I am a child of God?
I am the light of the world?
I am a therapist?
A father?

People come to me
bearing their diagnosis as a name
I am abused
I am depressed
I am the child of alcoholics

We must be careful how we name ourselves
how we name ourselves colors how we see the world
and shapes how we live

If I have named myself "therapist"
I might feel caring, or grateful
overwhelmed or humble

If I have named myself a dreamer
I might feel free to dream
but condemn myself for not being practical

We must also be careful how we label others

Because beneath the labels
alcoholic
bi-polar
schizophrenic
sinner
drunk
stupid
slime

behind the labels we give others
and the names we place on ourselves
is a child of the Spirit
a child of God

fully equiped
with wisdom and strength
grace and light

waiting to be found
and named

awake oh children of God
for that is what we are

No comments:

Post a Comment