Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, January 21, 2013

The Key to Joy

A wise sage once said
"The key to joy is being easily pleased"


I have so many expectations
I want this
I want that
I am taught to want
by the ads who tell me
I don't have what I want
and need

I don't have enough
enough stuff
enough money
enough love
enough of anything

I am taught that I don't have enough
by my ego (not in the bad sense, just this "self" I have constructed)
that tells me 
I am not enough

that I must have more ability
more talent
more power
more influence
more 
more
more

and yet
there is so much
right there
in front of my eyes
if I will just see

there is the love of a friend 
the silly smile of my granddaughter
a walk at the zoo with my daughter
and her wonderful husband

there is a little black girl
with a mom with stage four cancer
who calls me Grampa  Steve

there are new friends
and old friends
there is the brilliance of the sky

there is Mount Joseph 
soaring into that brilliant blue

there is Kramer (my cat)
snuggling against me,
glad that I am home

if I just accept the life
as it comes my way
if I am just easily pleased
I can have so much joy
 
This does not means there are not hurts, and disappointments
This does not mean challenges need to be denied
life is what it is
 
but 
God is everywhere
and gifts 
are waiting
quietly
 

No comments:

Post a Comment