Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, May 2, 2013

Being miserable in God's service

Do what most enables you to fly
and brings a feeling to the heart
that makes you glad to be alive
                Hafiz

______________________________________________

when I was in college
there were some

not me

I was not that into God at the time
who seemed to feel that following God
was a matter
of sacrifice and renunciation

in fact the more miserable they felt
the more assured they were
of their righteousness

"I am miserable"
they would intone
"I must be following God's will!"

really?
if that is true
perhaps God should give each of us a martyr card
we get to punch it
each time we
are miserable for the kingdom
and cash it in for some future reward

and yet I wonder
about the God who made this morning
of pinks and blue
this crisp air
my agile and marvelous cat
who even now plays with my toes

I wonder if this God 
of spring mornings
of
granddaughters
really means for us to be miserable in God's service

does God not want us to 
greet the day
with the joy and brightness of the sunrise
greet our lives
with the hope and promise
of spring?

 ah yes

God is all about life!
God wants us to do what enables us to fly!
and makes us
(and those around us)
glad to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment