Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Do No Harm

we gathered in the church basement
a motley crew
seeking 
learning
about life
and God
about ourselves
 
the topic for the day
ethical living
 
the key phrase from our book
"do no harm"
 
sounds easy
so hard to do!
 
why is it so difficult to go through life
without doing harm 
to others
even to one's self?
 
sometimes because we are not in touch with ourselves
we do not see ourselves clearly
or understand our motivations clearly
 
sometimes because we do not see others clearly
we do not understand them
or their needs
their wounds
 
we are 
confused
 
but also because we do not understand
our mutuality
that we are in this together
 
I am learning
sometimes the hard way
that the sacred in me needs to see and honor
the sacred in the other (namaste)
 
that my deepest Self
is the same Self that is in all others
 
as the Buddha said
"See yourself in others
Then whom can you hurt?
What harm can you do? "

Lord this day
may I find Your presence
within
and may I find myself in you
 
then in the space created by Your presence
and outrageous love
 
may my body be healed
may my mind be healed
may my heart be healed
may my soul be healed
 
Lord may I find myself in You
and in the finding
gain peace
and 
 
the capacity to see You in each one I meet
See me
in each one I meet
 
and
do no harm

No comments:

Post a Comment