Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, June 10, 2013

On dealing with difficult thoughts

This being human is a guest-house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
Who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture.
Still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you
out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
–Rumi, “The Guest House”

__________________________________
I am indeed a guest house
My mind
My soul
My heart
Find themselves greeting
Each moment perhaps
Visitors
Unexpected and expected

Memories
Thoughts
Fears
Regrets

I am not always a welcoming host
Sometimes I resent the presence of these guests
Wishing I could banish them

I close the windows of my soul
And board up the door of my mind
I hide my heart

And yet though I resist
The violate my space
And roar through my very being
ravaging
Tearing me apart
Until I am littered
With tattered remnants
Of my self

And then in the quietness of acceptance
In the openness of doors
Wrenched asunder

As I pick among the debris
To find that which remains
That which I value

Other guests arrive
Unbidden, unexpected
And gently fill the space
To clean
And restore
To heal

Ah, Sacred One
Ah, Jesus
Ah, Love
Ah, Grace

1 comment: