Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, July 7, 2013

Defined by Grace

This day Lord
as I struggle to pull myself from my bed
(it feels oh so comfortable on this lovely morning)

this day Lord
as I seek for something to say
something from you
to share with the
gathered

help me remember
O Lord
who I am
 
what
defines
me

I am many things
male
aging
gray (not graying, its a done deal)
grandfather
father
husband
brother
 
I have done much
I have left much undone
 
There are so many ways I could define myself
both good and bad
I am variously helpful and hurtful
saint and sinner (mostly sinner)
success and failure

Sometimes I feel alone and remorseful
and sometimes
like that odd TV character I proudly assert
"I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and by golly people like me!"

but Lord
although I am all of those things
I am none of those things

for ultimately I am defined by one set of eyes
Yours
and ultimately I am defined by one thing
GRACE

Lord, this day, as I stumble from bed, and wander 
through my day
and through the lives of others
 
help me to remember
that I am defined
they are defined
we all are defined

by GRACE

and help me to remember
what that means!

No comments:

Post a Comment