Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Living the Mystery

In Graham Green’s The Power and the Glory the hero is “the whiskey priest”.  This man is definitely not perfect.  Very much a person with massive flaws.  And yet, Greene makes him a saint, and everyman, and at one point makes the statement, “he could still put God on men’s tongues.”

It is a shocking idea.  God uses flawed people, which is all of us.  The whiskey priest was still a bridge to God for many people, drunk or not.  We can still be bridges to God, flaws or not!

This is the mystery of forgiveness and grace

Lord, I know that I have my flaws
You know that I have my flaws
Everyone knows

And yet you ask me to be your representative
You as me, me
To help people
To help them heal
and learn about you
and your love for them

Lord, this is indeed a mystery
I am too tired to pretend that I am righteous
I am too flawed to hide my brokenness
I am too human

And yet through all of my limitations
And failure
In spite of all my bad decisions
And weaknesses

You flow

I don’t understand it Lord
Sometimes I don’t trust it

I can only put one foot in front of the other
I can only take it one day
One moment at a time

And live the mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment