Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, September 8, 2013

Mouthpiece of God

“Don't try to steer the boat.
Don't open shop for yourself. Listen. Keep silent.
You are not God's mouthpiece. Try to be an ear,
And if you do speak, ask for explanations.”
― Rumi, The Essential Rumi

_______________________________________

This morning Lord
I will stand in front of a gathered people
Who will expect me
To have something to say

And so I read
And study
And think

And scribble
And erase
And scribble some more

I try out the sound of my words
To befuddled cats
Who seem singularly unimpressed

I revise
Again and again
So that I might share the word of God
So that I might feed the flock
So that I……..

Ooops

Forgive me Lord
I do not speak for you
I cannot speak for you
I am not the mouthpiece of God

I am merely one of your children
Just one
Who for some odd reason
Has been given the privilege of letting your
Love
And compassion
And yes, perhaps, wisdom, flow through me

Oh Lord
May I approach this Sunday morning
Quietly
Listening more
Sitting in silence more
Letting the deep silence open my heart and mind to You
Open my soul to the vastness of
Your love
The vastness that is You

And then may you flow forth
However imperfectly
Through me
In spite of me

Then
May your love flow

Because in the end
That is all that counts

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful prayer for all preachers...and, for all who need to talk less and listen more. Well said, Preacher!

    ReplyDelete