Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, November 9, 2013

Here come da' Judge

“Whenever we can manage to love without
expectations,
calculations,
negotiations,
we are indeed in heaven.”
― Rumi

________________________

And when are loved without
expectations
calculations
negotiations
we are indeed in heaven

we call it grace
we call it
agape

The word for the day
Is justification
Its an odd little concept
It suggests that we are OK with God
not because of what we have done
but because of what the Sacred has done

this is indeed grace
kind of

but this concept makes it very clear
that this is a “get of jail” (or is that hell) free card

it implies we are still totally messed up
and totally not deserving of love
and totally NOT righteous
(which of course is basically true)
but that God
because he has satisfied his “justice” on an innocent one
and because we have done or believed or accepted the right things
is willing to overlook “all that”

I struggle with that
to me it makes God
kind of like a crooked judge
who gives a pass to all his or her cronies

while throwing the book at all the rest

I believe that I am not a perfect child of God
And I believe in grace

But
I do not see the Sacred as essentially
a harsh judge
who grudgingly
accepts us
only because his/her anger
about us not being exactly loveable
was somehow satisfied
by being taken out on another (who didn’t deserve it)
(Rohr suggests we really do misunderstand the significance of the cross)

What I do believe is that the sacred looks at me with eyes of love
And I believe that God is essentially
like a loving mother and father
who looks at her or her child
and sees them with the eyes of love

sees them as precious and wonderful
and is that child’s greatest fan
because that
is the way
God
Is

_______________________________________

My apologies to all my theologically oriented friends
 who may well find my questioning of some deeply believed
 traditional theology troubling.  But the image of God we
 put forth, if we really think about it, is often inconsistent with
 the living presence of God we saw in Christ.  And thus these
 ponderings.  I think God can deal with my questions, because I
 believe faith is about knowing God, not knowing about God,
 an not, very much at all, about doctrine.  At least I hope that is true.

I would direct you all to challenging meditation by Richard Rohr that was posted
This morning.   Blessings
Stephen

http://conta.cc/HEDlnR

No comments:

Post a Comment