Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, November 11, 2013

The Most Profound form of arrogance


Divine union, not
private perfection, is the goal of all religion….
Unless you let the truth of life teach you on its own terms, unless you
develop some concrete practices for recognizing and overcoming your
dualistic mind, you will remain in the first half of life forever, as
most humanity has up to now. In the first half of life, you cannot work
with the imperfect, nor can you accept the magical sense of life, which
finally means that you cannot love anything or anyone at any depth.
Richard Rohr

__________________________________

Lord
I head into another week

It will be a week full of people
of travel
of tasks and complications

there are grants to write
and workshops to attend
people to listen to and
yes, sermons to write

it will be easy Lord
to get overwhelmed
not so much by the busy-ness
but by the sense of having to be

well
be……..

its hard to explain Lord
I don’t expect to be perfect
but I would like to be much better than I am

and I expect what I do
to be good, better, best

and while I say to others
accept all that you are
and realize you are both/and

both good and bad
strong and week
effective and ineffective
attentive and negligent

it is sometimes hard to
accept it in myself

and even harder, sometimes
to believe God accepts it

hmmmm
its an odd sort of thing
that low esteem of one’s self
is in an odd way
the highest sort or arrogance

as if God is going to hold ME
to a higher standard than anyone else

OK God
I get the point
I am not Jesus
I can get off the cross
(we can use the wood for firewood)

OK God
I get the point
You love me, accept me, and use me
as I am

and you really only expect one thing
one
thing

not private perfection
but union

all you want is for me
to wallow in
be immersed by
be covered

by your divine love

and for me to love you back

No comments:

Post a Comment