Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, November 8, 2013

The word for the day, is SAVED

The word for the day is saved

I fear that ‘saved’ is a loaded word
it implies a lot of things

on the one hand it implies that there is someone to save or rescue
a helping hand
a comforting voice
a sustaining presence

who wouldn’t like that?

but the concept also implies
a lot of negative things

it implies warped
flawed
wounded
lost
in trouble

frankly I have little trouble with the idea
that sometimes
OK, a lot of the time
OK, all of the time really, I need a little help
OK OK
A lot of help

so far so good
but then other meanings begin to creep in

“are you saved?”
all too often what that really means is,
“are you now on the “right” side”
“do you believe what I believe”
“have you been rescued from hell, unlike all those others”
“have you done what YOU need to do to escape the judgment and punishment of God?”

so the image I get is not that of a  child of God
a person with immense value
a person loved by the sacred
being helped to find his or her way
into the arms of the sacred
into a place of joy and peace

but of a wretch
who must do certain things
and keep doing certain things
to earn a little love
a little safety

to remain on God’s good side

Wow…
what a God that creates!
angry
judgmental
harsh
just waiting for those who huddling around HIM (yes HIM, I can’t fit a HER into this scenario)
to make a mistake so punishment can come

watching coldly, waiting for the wretched and cursed
to make the right choice, and be pulled from the fires of Hell

“turn or burn”

I suspect that is not,
what people think they mean when they talk about salvation….

but the more I listen, the more I watch,
the more I realize that is very much
what many actually mean

and what seems really sad is that this is where too many people
who think that way,
even as they think about themselves.

for them the saved life is like living in an abusive household
tip toeing around, trying to be perfect
so that “dad” doesn’t blow up
and punish
harshly

I would rather be “awakened”  (Thanks Steve McSwain)
I would rather wake up to the presence of God
The love of God
The acceptance of God
And wake up to what I can be
In that presence

I want to open my eyes
or have my eyes opened
(since it is all about grace)
and suddenly go

Wow!
God
you are here!!!!
Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment