Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Looking for God, in all places

A philosopher of religion said that if you look at the history of all religions, they almost all begin with one massive mistake. They make a clean split between the sacred and the profane. Then all the emphasis is
placed on going to the sacred spaces, creating sacred time and sacred actions, and ninety-eight percent of life then remains “unsacred.” This is at the heart of the problem. This is why so many people have
such a hard time encountering the holy. These are not insincere people. They’re people who were told to look only in a very few places for God.   Richard Rohr
______________________________________________________

Beauty before me
Beauty behind me
With beauty all around me
I walk
                                Navaho Chant
______________________________________________________

life happens
O does it happen!

and eyes to the ground
I stumble and struggle
like a weary climber
so tired
that he can see only the step in front of him

one so tired she can
only look as far as the next turn
in the trail

there is that place
that holy place
sanctuary
where God is
if only I can get there
sanctuary

and while I toil
the trees alongside the trail soar to the heavens
the stream dances and sings
as it makes its way down the mountain
birds soar
and snowcapped peaks
shine in a brilliant blue sky

I am surrounded by the holy
with each step I have arrived
the sanctuary is around me
the sanctuary is within me

I live in the sacred
I carry the sacred

I need only to stop
and breathe
and
see

No comments:

Post a Comment