Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, February 22, 2014

The alternative to hate

“Instead of hating the people you think are war-makers, hate the appetites and disorder in your own soul, which are the causes of war. If you love peace, then hate injustice, hate tyranny, hate greed - but hate these things in yourself, not in another.”
― Thomas Merton

____________________________________________________

No poems to day.  Just a little piece from the draft of my sermon for this Sunday

The passages I am addressing are tough ones…. Love your enemy.  Be generous to the takers.  You know, the stuff so many American Christians are more than willing to ignore while they look down their noses at most of the world (Do I sound a little pissed?  I am)

It strikes me that there are a couple of perspectives we must have if we are to come anywhere close to the “perfection” Jesus calls for in Matthew 5:38-48 (read it, please)

First we need an understanding of our own deep capacity for doing what is wrong.  We can never do what this passage says, if we are looking at others from a perspective of righteousness.  My mother used to look at people who were behaving badly and say quite simply, “well that’s a real gem”.  We have to recognize that we all have a shadow side.  We all have the capacity for wrong, even evil.  And we have to be able to say, as we look at the one we are angry with, the one who disgusts us… the one we want to judge…

That could be me… perhaps, in some ways… that has been me…. Maybe even, that is me!
I guess you can say we have to understand the profound connection we have with the other at this point of vulnerability….We are all “real gems”, in my mother’s vernacular

You know the statement, there, but for the grace of God go I…. No! that won’t work here.  It assume we are better.  To follow this commandment we have to say, there BY the grace of God, go I.”

Did you get that statement? There goes a person who is a messed up and has done things wrong, but who is loved by God… and I am a person who is messed up and has done things wrong, and is loved by God.  They by the grace of God go I.  We are alike, that person, and I.  At some deep profound level, we are the same.

Maybe I have a different struggle
Maybe the way I have wounded another is different….

But that person, with whom I am angry, that person who has become, one way or another my enemy, that person is me

So that is one thing we need to be able to do… see our own capacity to be destructive, hurtful.

The other thing we have to do is just as important… and perhaps more difficult.  We have to see the other person’s capacity for good… We have to develop a new way of seeing the other person

This is where we move beyond our respect for our common capacity for error
And move to our common capacity for good.
This is where the sacred in us begins to see, to appreciate, to believe in, the sacred in the other

So, we need to look for the good in our enemy.  As Mr. Rogers used to say, "Have you ever noticed that the very same people who are bad sometimes,  are the very same people who are good sometimes?"  There's an element of evil in the best of us and an element of good in the worst of us.  When you look for the good in others, it helps you find the positive and not fall into the trap of labeling others as totally worthless, as having no good in them.

Martin Luther King put it this way: "When you come to the point that you look in the face of every man and see deep down within him what religion calls, 'the image of God,' you begin to love him in spite of everything else … (so) find the center of goodness and place your attention there, and you will take a new attitude."

In this day of polarization.  In this time when many who call themselves “Christian” are using positions of power to oppress, minimize, crush, destroy…. I give up, the verbs are endless…. people who are struggling, we need to be people who go down a different path.  The path of acceptance, inclusion, and forgiveness

And, we need to act, and talk, accordingly

Thus ended the sermon for today

No comments:

Post a Comment