Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lent 20 - God loves - do we?


“The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.”
― C.S. Lewis

_________________________________________

God is love
God loves

And yet we struggle
with whom God loves

does God love me?
with all the things I do wrong?
with my impatience at times with those who do not (gasp) think the way I do?

does God love “those” people?
does God love people who are homosexual
addicted
liberal
conservative
rigidly and hatefully religious (Westboro Baptists?)

and what does it mean
if  God is love
and God loves
to say that we love God
and are God’s people
no matter what label we apply to our love

what does it mean to be
for example
Christian?

I hear “Christians” speak hatefully (I do at times I know)
I see “Christians” legislate against women
And the poor
And call the vulnerable “lazy” and “moochers”

It is confusing lord
Because when I see “no love”
I want to challenge that, and condemn it
I want to “counter attack”!!!!!

I want to call them out
Those people who say they are Christians
But do not conform to my idea of Christianity
Just as they have called others out for not conforming to their idea of Christianity

AH

It is difficult
Jesus had his moments
He turned over tables
He told “pointed” parables that
“outed” the warped spirituality of the Pharisees and Sadducees (the conservative politicians of his day)

and yet
and yet… do I become like those I  condemn
when I respond in anger and yes, yes
judgement

I am confused
and sad

yep,
that is where I am
this new day

all that is firm is this
God is love
God loves

No comments:

Post a Comment