Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, March 8, 2014

Lent - 4 Blessed are we when.....?

Living with that guy, how could you have not gone nuts;
I bet he even lied, the
Coward

I know why God comes to this earth as man
In hopes of redeeming that gender

God knows he owes us women –
Big time

For the way those brutes
Usually
Act
                                                Mira
_________________________________________________________

Ah Lent
a time to reflect
on who we are
really
and how we live and love and act
really

it occurs to me
this day
that such journeys into the soul
may be more difficult for the comfortable

I think of my body
Which I tend to ignore
When it is well, and there is no pain

but for two weeks I have been in pain
in an odd place (shoulder area)
for no apparent reason
a pain the weighs me down at day
and keeps me awake at night

suddenly I am incurably aware of my body
where it hurts, where it doesn’t
what I am eating
I notice everything
Everything

when work goes well
when the State has not messed with our funding
when staff seem productive and happy
when clients are growing and healing

I cruise through life

Suddenly it becomes important again, who wins a football game
Or makes it to the NCAA basketball playoff

when difficult things happen
it is work, work, work
all the time
day and night
it dominates my time, my mind

so it is with so much of life
when we are comfortable,  we are distracted
perhaps even inattentive

but in the moments of pain, frustration, loss
ah, then we pay attention
then we see
that the craziness of God
just might make sense

Matthew made the beatitudes theological and logical
Luke kept them pure an illogical (perhaps)

“Blessed are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
 Blessed are you who hunger now,
    for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you,
    when they exclude you and insult you
    and reject your name as evil,
        because of the Son of Man.
“Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.

Don’t get me wrong
I don’t think God causes my pain
I can do a pretty good job of that on my own
I don’t think poverty and illness  and affliction are given out by God any more than
I think wealth and health are the result of God’s favor

I simply think that God knows that when we are
Vulnerable
Uncomfortable
Struggling
We are often (not always) also open
reflective
ready for change
and God takes advantage of that, to grab us into a holy hug
and bring healing into our lives

Sometimes we are not so open
Not so aware

Do those who are wealthy want to give up their wealth?
Do those who oppress want to give up their power?
Do they even understand how powerfully they are hanging on to power and wealth
and what the cost is of their wealth and oppression to others?

Maybe, perhaps
But mostly
I think
NO

The man who dominates a woman, is fine with the arrangement
The CEO who makes 450 times what his workers make, is fine with the arrangement
The legislator who is comfortable in his or her wealth and power, is happy with the way things are
and will do anything, even legislate others into poverty, to keep the status quo in place

and so they entrench
and so they wound others
and so they slowly but surely wander off “the way”
until they come to the eye of the needle…….ooops

Jesus came
Jesus lived the way he did
Jesus died the way he did
To say the way of power,
Specifically, the way of “power over” is BS

If you want to become great in the kingdom
You must become the servant of all

Really?
Really!

Are we listening?

_________________________________________

This is not simple stuff
There are many loose ends to my logic today
Some of you will find statements that are too simplistic, and rightfully need more explanation
But this is not a systematic theology text book
This is me, responding to what jumped out at me to day from my ready
This is me, sometimes among the entrenched
Sometimes among those struggling

This is me, sometimes closed
And sometimes open

I am simply thankful
That God is more than ready
To take advantage of the moments of openness
When they come J

May all of you, on this fourth day of lent, have a wonderful moment, or two,
of openness
enjoy your time with the Sacred!

No comments:

Post a Comment