Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, March 30, 2014

The inside of the cup - inner transformation comes first

Ironically, even the Franciscan concept of “poverty” can be turned into self-aggrandizement. In St. Francis’ teachings, “poverty” is really his code word for not seeking status and upward mobility. Poverty for Francis was not about a material end in itself, but a strategy for the relinquishment of all false power. It seems to me that even some Christian radicals have too strongly identified with material poverty as an end in itself (although we could all stand to simplify our lives), and sometimes sought poverty as another form of superiority!

If you don’t have interior poverty, but need to look good and be admired and think well of yourself, then material poverty is not anything admirable at all. It is just another ego stunt. I have met too many rigid radicals and also very comfortable people who are genuinely and completely poor in spirit. The best is to be both simple in lifestyle and fully open-hearted too.

__________________________________________________

Inner world outer world
Inner poverty, outer poverty
Inner righteousness, outer righteousness

It really is all about what happens in side
At our Center
Where we and the Sacred connect

It really is all about being permeated by love
So that we can live love
So that we can be love

Sometimes we get very humbled by this reality
I talk love and acceptance a lot
I think, except when I see people with power abusing power
I do pretty well at not being judgmental

and at other times

sigh

last night I was reading an article about some Arizona fans getting wild and upset
after a NCAA Tourney Game
the pepper spray had come out
and so of course did the comments

A respondent said something very negative about Arizona
And I type a one word response
Jerk

And I got called on it
By at least three people

And they were right
I had gotten so tired of all the negative crap,
of all the people cutting down other people,
that I responded by cutting down another person

not classy

I am sure I do this all the time when I run into things, and people, I disagree with
“Blind Pharisee!  First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.” (Matthew 23:26)

sigh
sigh again

It is tricky, this journey we are on
very tricky indeed

we often stumble
and fall
and get pretty muddy and messy down there in the mire

and all we can do is get up
and start the journey again

and go inside
and connect with the sacred
and take care of the inside of our cup!

Blessings on this Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment