Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, April 27, 2014

A prayer of confession, and hope

It should be obvious.  For new wine we will have to have new wineskins.  Until you have new wineskins – a new social order – it doesn’t make a bit of difference to teach people “thou shalt not steal” and “Thou shalt not be greedy.”  Our system is set up on the assumption that greed on the top will “trickle down” to the poor on the bottom…
                                                                                                                Richard Rohr
___________________________________________________________

New wine skins
new wine

I would love to believe
I am a “new skin” in which
the new wine of grace and love
sloshes freely
happily fermenting
bubbling
becoming powerful and alive

but alas
I may be more patched than new

Ah yes, there are ways in which
The intoxicating power of the Spirit
has made me new

but alas
there are old ways
old thoughts
old behaviors
I hang on to still

and so quite frankly
O Sacred one
there are places I am dry and cracked

I leak

touch me oh Spirit with the gentle
hands of love
soften me
remake me

give me love for those I struggle to love
give me compassion for those who anger me
turn the old world order upside down
in me
in this heart
that I may truly carry
the new wine
of
grace

No comments:

Post a Comment