Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mercy Mercy

I once saw God’s mercy as patient, benevolent tolerance, a kind of grudging forgiveness.  But now mercy has become for me God’s very self-understanding, a loving allowing, a willing breaking of the rules by the One who made the rules – a wink and a smile, a firm and joyful taking of our hand while we clutch at our sins and gaze at God in desire and disbelief…. A live time of received forgiveness allows you to become mercy.
                                                                                                Richard Rohr – Jesus Plan for a New World
___________________________________________________

I have come to learn,
O Sacred One,
that I have little respect for the depth of your mercy,
for the nature of mercy

I simply do not grasp,
cannot grasp,
the idea that you look at me
through the eyes of a over the top
soccer mom,
through the eyes of a dad whose child can do no wrong

oh yes,
I know you that not blind
to the things I do wrong,
the mistakes,
and you want to gently help me do better “next time”

but nothing
nothing
fundamentally changes the way you see me
I am your beloved child

Help me lord, not to clutch at my sins
help me not to hug them to myself
and clothe myself in them
help me not to allow them to define me

but help me accept mercy

so that I can give
mercy

if I think I have to earn your love
that you are one to be “pleased”
then I will be a person
not of mercy
but of judgment

I will say to myself
“I have worked hard for God’s love”
(Oh, no, we would never say that, we would talk grace)
and THAT person, well, just look at them!”

I will see you as terrible and stern
Judging, Hard, Angry, Punishing

and I will be all too willing
to be angry, and judging, and angry myself

so help me accept your mercy O Lover of my Soul
let me wallow in your love
let me bathe myself in forgiveness and acceptance

that I might become more like You

MERCY

No comments:

Post a Comment