Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, July 3, 2014

Bad Neighborhood

“My mind is a neighborhood I try not to go into alone.”
― Anne Lamott
_______________________

we are what we think
we see, based on what we think
we interpret life, through the filter
of those values, and beliefs
healthy or not
that somehow are part of our self
both conscious and un-conscious

I am not even going to think about
the complexity of the mind
the soul
the body
and how those all go together

I only know they are inter-related
tightly bound
and what happens in one “realm” profoundly impacts the others

I know that a troubled soul leads to a troubled mind
a horrible sense, at times, of dis-ease

I know that what is going on in soul and mind is carried in the body

I know that a “pain” in any part of my system is an indicator
that the entire “system” needs attention

what makes it so tricky are those well ingrained thoughts
those thoughts that are so familiar, so frequent,
we don’t even notice them
they roll through our minds unchallenged
at the level of sub-conscious (because we simply ignore them)
or un-conscious (at times)

but they run our lives
we interpret everything we see
everything that is said to us
everything that happens
according to these thoughts, and don’t even know it

some of those thoughts are good
there are people who wander around saying to themselves
I can do this
People like me
I am valued and valuable

But some of those thoughts are like a spiritual acid
which erode us

I am not enough
Not matter what I do it is not good enough
People like me for what I can accomplish, but they don’t like me
I am not liked, or valued
I am alone, and will always be alone

such thoughts make our minds
pretty dangerous places
bad neighborhoods
at least at times

and thus we need times of silence
and meditation
prayer

we need time to listen to ourselves
and what we say to ourselves

what thought in my mind caused me to be anxious?
to feel rejected?
to feel worthless?

negative thoughts,
dysfunctional ones, the ones that push us out of balance
and into dark places,
should never be allowed to wander the streets of our mind
unchallenged

and this time of listening and challenging
should never be done alone
it should be done
with the Sacred One
the Spirit within
guiding , comforting, empowering

we should always walk through those dark streets
with the One who knows us
and loves us
better than we know and love ourselves
and whose presence
is love
and healing

No comments:

Post a Comment