Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, August 4, 2014

colo-rectal Theology

Colo Rectal Theology

To be engrossed by something outside ourselves is a powerful antidote for the rational mind, the mind that so frequently has its head up its own ass - seeing things in such a narrow and darkly narcissistic way that it presents a colo-rectal theology, offering hope to no one.”
― Anne Lamott
________________________________
journey inward
journey outward
journey inward to that place at the center
where the sacred lurks
ready for us to be present to the presence
we must make the journey inward
since who we are in God is who we are
but some times
many times
I get lost on that journey
and wander around in my head
which is a bad neighborhood
and there
in that ghetto of doubt and fear
it is “all about me”
my future
my needs
my….. [insert favorite concern about self here]
the journey is not complete unless there is a corresponding
journey outward
where it is all about
children dying in Palestine
people terrorized by Ebola
families mourning those shot down from the sky
over a field in Ukraine
those fighting wild fires somewhere in the West
the child who is hungry in America
the young man who is so angry and lost he makes his statement with a gun
faith is about discovering who I am
but faith is more
it is about discovering who I am in this world
this battered, hurting, hungry, bleeding world
and how I can be
a healing, helping, hopeful presence
how I can so speak
so act
so give
that I help restore hope, and restore health in others
yes
I know the need is huge
but this day
this day
there is likely to be one person
even if it is just one
whose life I can touch with love and compassion
Lord
my faith is about me
but it must be about more
way more
than me
from colo-rectal theology
deliver me

No comments:

Post a Comment