Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, October 18, 2014

From the Inside Out

it is funny
or not so funny
the things that shape us
and make us who we are

yesterday I spent more time that is desirable in several airports
and I watch all the various souls
surrounded me

of note were the manly men
I don’t know how to explain it exactly
But tI am talking about the guys who, for the most are
are big
thick of muscle

but more than that
are men with a presence
surrounded by men just like them they are confident
assertive
powerful

and that is where I come in
or don’t
I have never been the big, muscled
Testosterone laden guy

a late bloomer I didn’t have to shave until graduate school
muscles never really arrived
my face has soft edges and at my best I looked like Robbie Douglas
of “My Three Sons”,  or one of the Walton boys

and from the inside out
I feel unsure, self-conscious
Tentative

I have no idea how I look from the outside in
But from the inside out?  I will never be one of them
I am not totally comfortable in my own skin

I wonder how many of us there are
Who do not meet the expectations we have set in our heads
As to who we are, what we are, how we are…..

So I will say to myself, what I tell so many of my clients to say to themselves
Stop it Stephen!  Just Stop it
You are a bearer of the sacred
Believe it

No comments:

Post a Comment