Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Who writes your story?

“Whoever authors your story authorizes your actions.”
― Sam Keen
__________________________________________________________

the window is black
in the early morning darkness
there is simply nothing there
as I stare out into the unyielding night

it is as if the world
the day
were an empty blackboard
waiting for me to scrawl upon the surface

the script for this day has yet to be written
the fragments of the story litter my calendar
and my inbox

but I have not yet completed a sentence

this day is my story
I get to write it

but how will I write it?
what will my story be?
and do I really get to write my own story?

there are many voices that are more than happy
to tell me
voices that would shape my thoughts and feelings and actions
there are others who want to, and indeed do, author my story

it is inevitable
unavoidable


who will I listen to?

who I choose to listen to
determines my story,

who I choose to trust determines who I listen to

there are ideologues who would shape me and mold me into their image
there are voices that lie and misrepresent
and would write stories of power, and hate
judgment and exclusion

there is one voice alone
I can trust
to write a story of compassion and hope

the voice of the Sacred
not the Sacred as found in a book
or a church
or other places of worship

these have been despoiled

but only the voice of the Sacred within
prompted, perhaps, by Sacred Word
stirred perhaps,
by music
can author a story
authorize actions
that bring forth love and peace

only that inner presence
nurturing
loving and informing
my true self
can help me write a Sacred story

and I love happy endings
______________________________


O Sacred one
as I write my story on the blank slate of this day
may your Presence
inform and inspire

may the story that unfolds
be one of compassion, and patience
forgiveness and giving

may you be true author of my story
and may my actions be authorized by your love

1 comment:

  1. '..inform and inspire.. [that] my actions be authorized by your love.'
    Thank you Stephen

    ReplyDelete