Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Just Three Things

I'm working on this too: "All wisdom traditions have at their root three basic ideas: To take care of the poor, to cultivate a sense of presence or union with a power much greater than ourselves, and to soften the heart. In the fullness of those traditions – as opposed to the fundamentalist version of those traditions – you don’t hit back." Anne Lamott
______________________________________________

we wander through life
seeking to do more good than harm
hoping against hope that it might be so

we have our holy books
our liturgies
our sages
our holy women and men

in the end whatever faith I embrace
whatever faith I teach (because someone foolishly decided that is part of what I am about)
 must be about
three things
connection, attitude, and action

my faith must be about union (communion) with a power much greater than myself
my faith must soften my heart (so that I see myself and others with compassion and understanding)

and

my faith must move me from fearful hoarding
to generosity

period

no matter what God once says they worship
no matter what ideology one holds
no matter what theology one adheres to

it all comes down to
communion
compassion
and generosity

No comments:

Post a Comment