Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, December 4, 2014

the Power of little kindnesses

“Kindness can transform someone's dark moment with a blaze of light. You'll never know how much your caring matters. Make a difference for another today.”
― Amy Leigh Mercree

________________________________________

it is the small things that count
at times we think our life will be measured by great accomplishments
by books written
by our professional brilliance (as if)

but whom do I remember?
who have been the people who provided me with enough light
to keep walking
keep moving

who have kept me from self-destruction
the saints of consistent, persistent kindness

Pansy Lewis, my dad’s receptionist
who made it clear I was “her boy”
and who did so many little acts of kindness
and nurtured me into adulthood

Steve Hayner, the laughing man (now dying of cancer
whose door was always open, and who always listened
who was never “too important” although in later years he was important
(President of Inter-Varsity, now President of Columbia Seminary)

Donna Fuhrman, with her generous heart (and Lowell too)

countless church members who sat through good sermons
and bad sermons, and patiently let me make a holy fool of myself

my children, whom, when I had been cranky and unreasonable
still insisted I was a “great dad”

sisters, who have always been there for their
“bratty little brother”

it has not been the big gestures that have lighted the way through
a rather chaotic life
it has been the genuine smiles, the offered cups of coffee
the warm welcome (when I have been gone)

Lord thank you for the small acts of kindness
Which have woven their way around my fearful heart
and given me comfort

This day, may I be one who through a word, a smile
Through caring presence
Change someone’s darkness
Into light

No comments:

Post a Comment