Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, January 17, 2015

At Last, Success!

What are your measures of success?…..
At the end of your life, what measures of success do you expect you’ll still be clinging to or proudly proclaiming?
Can you accept as a measure success that you just kept showing up, day after day, even when you weren’t feeling helpful or effective?
What about the times you didn’t get caught in others’ dramas or weren’t swept away by dark emotion?
Or the times you refrained from striking back and refused to counter aggression with aggression?
Or the moments when you heart opened to another persons’ predicament because you’d had the same experience and realized we’re all just only human?
Simply staying on the path, no matter what, keeping on with your direction, finding your way back when you get lost or diverted – this seems enough success for a lifetime.
Margaret Wheatley – Perseverance

2014-08-25 19.55.25

what is success?
is it defined by how others think of you
or how they see you
the feeling or opinion that comes into their mind when they see you
or hear your name?

is it defined by the expectations placed on your by your parents
or family
by society at large
or by the role you have taken on in life
(is success as a minister defined differently than for the CEO of a large coporation)

is showing up enough?
or is it showing up, and being a presence which brings
life, and light
joy and hope
encouragement and compassion?

and can we find our own definition of success
when we know
there we are surrounded by others
who are defining us……differently

I remember the old days
I’m OK, you’re OK
I’m OK, you are NOT OK
I’m NOT OK, you are
All of us are going to hell in a handbasket (I’m NOT OK and neither are you!)

finding that solid place
on which to place our feet
where we can say
“Here I stand”
I’m OK

Is not an easy task, especially in a world that loves to judge!

This morning success for me was getting myself out of bed (late)
Getting my walking clothes on
And lacing up my hiking boots (well I plan to)

I am going to go for a walk
That will be a success, because I really don’t want to do it

Writing a sermon when I feel like I have nothing to say
Pulling my mood up out of the muck…..
All of those things will be successes

But really what the only success that is really solid
That really creates that place to stand

is the reminder
that I am a carrier of the Sacred
As Rumi puts its so well
I am not a drop in the ocean
I am the ocean in a drop
All of creation resides in me

Now where did I put those damn boots!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment