Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, March 12, 2015

Like a child


“One of the blunders religious people are particularly fond of making is the attempt to be more spiritual than God.”
― Frederick Buechner, Wishful Thinking: A Theological ABC
___________________________________________________________

“I must try harder”
“I must do better”
“I have tried to live a good life”
“I hope I have been a good enough person to go to heaven”

So the litany goes on
And soon becomes

“you must try harder”
“You must do better”

Which soon becomes

“I am better”

A so those who seek to follow
The compassionate, accepting and inclusive one
Become rigid and judgmental
And tired

and something critical is lost
grace
the heart of faith is lost
compassion


O Beloved One
May we rest our weary souls
May we be held secure in your love
Like children

No comments:

Post a Comment