Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, April 17, 2015

Generosity is Holy



I thought about this on my walk today
I started by trying to put myself in the shoes of a person making minimum wage....

"Why work when the wage I get is not enough to support my family?  And while the CEO of the company I work for stacks tons of money away off shore?  Is a hoarder? 

How can I work, or study, how can I succeed if I am hungry, and don't have stable housing, or the ability to get on the internet to look for jobs, or even get on a computer
to put together a resume."

Instantly I went to this place!

We have to give people enough resources to succeed
They have to have enough healthy food, secure enough housing, a good enough education, to be able to have the motivation and energy to study, get training, and get a job. 
Then the job has to pay enough for this person to support himself, or herself,
and his or her family.

If a person has poor housing, not ability to transport him or herself, no phone.  If a person is having to work two jobs just to stay alive....if their education is deficit, how do we expect them to succeed?  People like me who had few or no barriers cannot appreciate fully the impact of poverty

If a person has been abused, lived in the midst of violence, has a mental illness, has been surrounded by generational poverty, they need more help not less.

Those on the far right who will cut taxes for the super rich, and cut supports for the vulnerable, have it entirely backwards.

In the Bible, God through the prophet warms Israel it will not flourish, it will eventually collapse and fail.... (drum roll), if it neglects the poor and vulnerable.  Over and over and over again this theme is sounded (I wonder why all these religious people on the right who claim to follow the Bible ignore this, including those who think those who follow the true God should get favoritism - how ass backwards is that?)  God even "legislates" a redistribution of wealth (Its called the Year of Jubilee, look it up, it's an inconvenient truth for fiscal "conservatives").

America will collapse if those super rich control the government and it becomes all about them.  If we neglect the poor. WHICH WE ARE DOING.
This is why I cannot vote for those whose economic policies favor the rich (doesn't leave me with many choices) or those who demonize and shame the poor.

We must give people a hand up,
not a hand in the face
as they try to stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment