Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, June 7, 2015

Looking for answers

God never answered Job's question as to why it is that bad things happen to good people... But my guess is that it was not an answer that Job was really after, not some sort of theological explanation of the problem of suffering, which would have left him wiser than he was before but suffering still. I believe, instead, that what Job was really after was not God's answer, but God's presence. And of course that was what Job finally found because the way God entered the world without destroying it was to enter Job's heart even as from the depths of his heart Job cried out to him. And that is the way he makes himself present to all of us.
                                                                                Frederick Beuchner
________________________________________________________________

I am always looking for answers
somehow it seems as if I can just understand what is going on
it will make it more palatable.

But it is only when the search for answers
pulls me into Presence
that things change.

it seems that knowing about God
is not nearly as powerful
as knowing God

much as knowing about
friendship or love
does not warm the heart
or brighten one’s eye

nearly as much as
having a friend
or receiving and giving
love

I will never “get” God
I will never have the answers
I will never understand
God
the world
or even myself

But I can find
peace, hope, and even love
as my questions
my confusion
even my pain
stir my soul and open me up
to the Presence
within

No comments:

Post a Comment