Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, July 18, 2015

Something is missing in my heart

Something missing in my heart tonight
Has made my eyes so soft
My voice so
Tender,

My need of God
Absolutely
Clear
                Hafiz, The Gift, Landisky, Trans. P 277
_________________________________________

I need Sacred Presence this morning
for something is missing
in my heart

I am pained by death
by pastors shot in their own church
by soldiers gunned down on a hot southern afternoon

but a deeper pain comes
when I realize how ready we are to hate
and see events through the eyes of prejudice
how easily we rate death
and how quick we are to value some lives far more highly than others

a deeper pain comes when I see
how differently we judge those
whose extreme view
drive them to extreme acts

depending on how close their ideology is
to our ideology

all extremism that leads to violence and death
makes the heart of God hurt

a deeper pain comes
when I see how ready we are to respond to hate with hate
and violence with violence

O God
forgive us
our need of You
is absolutely
clear

No comments:

Post a Comment