Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, September 10, 2015

Infinite Openess

Waking up this morning I smile
Twenty-four brand new hours are before me
I vow to live fully in each moment
And to look at all beings with eyes of compassion
                                                Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of Buddha’s Teaching, p. 102
___________________________________________

Waking up this morning I groan
Twenty-four hours are before me
That I must struggle through
I will somehow make it through this day

This will be my day to achieve
Perhaps to triumph

I will manipulate things to my advantage

After all
What I make is mine
What I have is mine
And I must make sure I take care of me
I must protect myself from whatever
From whomever
I cannot let “them” get what is “mine”
I will look at all being with the eyes of distrust
                                                Way too many Americans
                                                (You don’t believe me?  Why is Trump doing so well?)

Forgive me Lord
for waking up to the beauty of your universe
and failing to see it

forgive me for not recognizing the gift of this brand new day

forgive me for being so caught up in past regrets
and future fears,
that I am not awake to the present moment

Forgive me, for not only do not see those in front of me with compassion,
but do not see them at all.

help me O Sacred One
to have ‘infinite openness”1
awaken me to this moment
to the Spirit within me
to the gift of creation
to the presence of others

that I might fully be
and
smile

1.         Paul Kittner, Without Buddha I Could not Be A Christian, pp 159-160.  As quoted by Richard Rohr in his daily meditation, Sept. 9, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment