Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, December 9, 2015

A shot in the dark

"What's prayer?
It's shooting shafts into the dark.
It's reaching for a hand you cannot touch."

- Godric speaking, from the novel Godric  Frederick Beuchner
______________________________________

at times I feel I am talking into thin air
or worse into a dense wall

my words disappear into vastness
or rebound back
heavy and unanswered

Sacred is hard to find
difficult to touch

perhaps the problem
is that I have the wrong idea about prayer

perhaps I think it is about expectations
about appeals and answers

as if God
somehow limited
and created in my image
is there to be owned by me

to fulfill my pitiable requests

but perchance prayer is more about the seeking
the searching
the reaching
the listening

and maybe the answers come in ways mysterious
in those brief moments when my fingers lightly brush Sacred

in the morning’s sun
in the howl off the wind

or in the simple lightening of
my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment