Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, December 21, 2015

Looking for grace

“Some things have to be believed to be seen.”
― Madeleine L'Engle
______________________________________

does God exist?
is grace real?
does love conquer all?
does that person next to me participate in the divine?

I cannot make
a cogent argument
for God
or grace
for the presence of the sacred in that person who most bothers me

or for love, for that matter

since God is hard to find,
grace seems irrational
hate so often seems to win
and there are so many people who seem destructive

it seems an odd thing
that it is only what I expect,
only what I look for

that seems to appear
(and I sometimes forget this even now),
what I have found

is that when I look with eyes
expectant

I see
emerging through the mist
and fog of this world
surprise

God

surprise
grace

surprise
love

and yes, the God in me sees
the God in you

No comments:

Post a Comment