Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, January 8, 2016

A legacy of love

“I'm more haunted by how what I've said and the things I've done have caused harm to myself and others than I am worried that God will punish me for being bad. Because in the end, we aren't punished for our sins as much as we are punished by our sins.”
― Nadia Bolz-Weber, Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People
______________________________________________________________

I have done a lot of horrible things in my life
There are times I want to move into the world of shame
And say that I am horrible

But I respect God’s workmanship a bit too much for that

But I am painfully aware
of the fact that I have done things, and said things
that have hurt people
sometimes deeply

I have failed to do things
that have hurt people
deeply

there are people out there who are less trusting
because of me

people whose faith in the church
or God
has been damaged, or even destroyed
because of me

there are people who feel angry
or small
rejected
less
because of me

and that is a burden
I carry with me
I run the tapes, over and over (sometimes)
there are moments
when out of the blue
a memory comes

and I am ashamed
and saddened

I do not believe God hates me
or rejects me because of what I have done
nor I believe that God will ultimately punish me

because of my failure to be
who God created me to be
A sacred child
Honest, and humble
Giving and caring
Authentic
Respectful

I do a pretty good job of punishing myself

But while each day I carry with me
my failures
my regrets
the relationships damaged
the friends lost
the opportunities destroyed

but I also carry with me
my belief
that God is love,
and that God loves me, in spite of it all

I know grace

And so I do the best I can
to lay my burdens down
and I do my best
to accept my acceptance

and I do my best
to be a Child of God
a travel light

I do my best to be
a person who will eventually leave behind
a legacy
of
love

No comments:

Post a Comment