Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, January 25, 2016

Deep Seeing Eyes

The Yoruba tradition uses the term ashe to mean the essential divine nature in everything.  It is the idea that within all things lives sacredness if looked for with “deep seeing eyes”.  Even negative people or events are not void of ashe; it just takes deeper eyes to see it
                                                                                      Laura Berman Fortgang.  Little Book of Meaning, p.95
___________________________________________________________________________________

Sometimes O Sacred One
I have trouble seeing your presence in other people
Sometimes
A lot of trouble

O I can see you in the bright blue sky
The white peaked mounting soaring

I can see you in the eagle, the hawk
In the deer who leap nimbly through the woods
even in the turkeys, predatory and messy

I can see you in the faithful people who sit
In old pews, keeping hope alive
In the young the beautiful
The healthy

It takes more work to see you in those people
Who for one reason or another are,
Shall we say,
Challenging.

And then there are others
Way too many others
Where I struggle to see you at all

My vision is blurred
There are so many things that blind me

Ideology (that’s a big one – I admit it)
Behaviors
Attitudes

All of a sudden all I can do is label
Categorize
Judge

I no longer have deep seeing eyes
With some people
(to my regret)
I am almost blind

Lord give me eyes that see
That recognize
Divine presence

For there is something divine, good, right
Something blessed in every person
If I have the eyes to see it

Yes, this idea challenges me
Expands me
I don’t want to believe this about some
(my favorite villains, who will go unnamed)

But even they
Even they
Have essential divine nature

I just have
To look
With
Seeing eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment