Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, March 19, 2016

A vulnerable God

It takes all of us a long time to move from power to weakness, from glib certitude to vulnerability, from meritocracy to the ocean of grace.
                                                          Richard Rohr           
_____________________________________

God is not at all
like we might want our God to be

we love to point to the God of creation
and focus on omnipotence and omniscience

we look for God in mighty acts
acts of power
acts of dominance, even wrath

and since think of God this way
our faith is defined
accordingly

to follow God means power
to follow God means safety and ease
wealth and success

and we stand, Pharisee like
on our pillars of righteousness
believing (although we may not actually admit this)
that we have done something
to earn our place
in the circle of God’s love

and we stand secure, and comfortable

Palm Sunday
The Upper Room
Gethsemane
The Cross

should remind us
that God’s ultimate act of power
was profoundly expressed through vulnerability
and weakness

through yielding
and giving
all

that there might be an end to hate
and the birth of love

Forgive me, for all those moments
when I fail to see you in the little acts
of vulnerability and love

Forgive me Lord, for the times I forget
that is it when I am vulnerable
when I am a server (not the served)
that is when I am willing to
give pieces of myself

that I am most intensely on Your Way

Forgive me when I think that being yours
Is a matter of merit

Help me Lord, drift gently on the ocean of grace

No comments:

Post a Comment