Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Prayer is

Prayer issues from that threshold where soul and life flow, it is the conversation between desire and reality.  It is not to be reduced to the intermittent moments when we say prayers in words.  Prayer is a deeper and more ancient conversation within in.
                                                                                      John O’Donoahue,  Eternal Echoes. 187
__________________________________________________________

awake my tongue utters  prayers
they are not plentiful, nor profound
just “asides” to God along the way

“Help!”
“O crap!”
“Wow!”
“Thank you”
“That mountain, Lord, is beautiful”
“Please give him peace”
“Please help her forgive herself”
“Look at that river!  Amazing!”
“Quiet his voices”
“Calm her anxiety”
“Keep me going Lord”
“Look at that Sunset!  Good job God!”

just stuff like that
prayers along the way

awake my soul utters prayers
these are the deeper callings of my heart
these are the utterances that come forth from deep places
the yearnings, the pleas,
the despair,
the wild hope
those things that often have no words

sleep is prayer
my body is quiet
but my deeper self
liberated from the constraints of my consciousness
is freed to plunge deeply into the ooze of my inner grime
or soar wildly into those places where hope lives
all the while
discoursing with Sacred Presence

yes that is prayer

prayer is where I stand
one foot in the world where sacred rules
and all is possible
one foot in this world with it impossibilities

there I am
awake, or asleep
intentionally, or inadvertently
arguing, pleading
thanking, praising
quietly or loudly

on the threshold
where sacred meets profane
where soul and life flow

praying

No comments:

Post a Comment