Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, June 19, 2016

Pray all you like

Pray all you like, ask anything you want, but don’t forget that he never promised he’d say yes. He never guaranteed us anything. Not anything at all. Except one thing. Just one thing . . . .

That he cares . . . That is all. Nothing else.”
                                                                                       Madeleine L'Engle, Love Letters
__________________________________________________________________

she sits in her tattered recliner
her frail body barely visible as it
sinks into its ragged vastness

her voice is feeble and cracked
barely audible above the cacophony of sound
coming from her valiant protector
who barks and growls,
his buggy Chihuahua eyes
peering
as he peeks around piles of magazine

the air is close and filled
with the smell of animal urine

but the eyes are bright
and the mind is sharp

and we converse

“how are you feeling?”
“stronger”
“how is the pain?”
“not bad, if I don’t move… shush dog, it’s OK!
  I hope to make it to church”
“It’s OK, we know where you are, please be careful,
  don’t push yourself”
“I went to the store, I held my daughters arm and shuffled away”

A grin breaks across her face
“I’m 88 you know”
“I know”

and so it goes

“pray for me” she says

and so I do

I am not so comfortable with prayers such as this

I can chat with the Sacred
blather on a mile a minute, as I walk beneath my beloved mountain
I can listen to God, quietly sitting, in the quiet of a late spring afternoon

but prayer such as this?

I wonder why it is so difficult?

I can think of many reasons

If I listed them the pious would no doubt be appalled an offended
That a minister found it difficult to prayer

But frankly
It feels a little odd to tell God what needs to be done.

Do this!
Do that!
Do it now!

It feels odd, really it does

God is not my servant
Who am I to direct and guide the Sacred?
As if!

No, I do not like such prayers
And yet

“Pray for me!”

And so I do…
“Thank you for a rainy day
Thank you for daughters
Thank you for mighty Chihuahua protectors
Thank you for memories

Thank you O Sacred one
For presence
And for love”

Now I am on solid ground
For the great miracle

has always been the Presence
Holy among us

the miracle has always been
that the Sacred should care

the Sacred does care

And joins us
Aging pastor, who doesn’t know how to pray,
Aged parishioner
In that little apartment
On a stormy afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment