Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, September 4, 2016

A theology of egocentricity

“If you send out goodness from yourself, or if you share that which is happy or good within you, it will all come back to you multiplied ten thousand times. In the kingdom of love there is no competition; there is no possessiveness or control. The more love you give away, the more love you will have.”
― John O'Donohue, Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
_______________________________________________

I keep thinking these days about what I can only think of as

A theology of egocentricity

Within this theology there is a core belief
that somehow my faith is all about “me”

It is “my” personal relationship with God
It is “my” salvation
The blessings of God are “mine” and are earned by “me”

And yet in the teachings of Jesus everything circles inexorably
around community

It is not my relationship with God,
It is the covenant between the community of faith and God
It is not my salvation
It is the redemption of all people
Called to celebrate at the banquet table of God
It is not my blessings, earned by be
Is the reconciliation of all to God, a gift of grace
And the restoration of all creation

There is in the gospel, and theology of essential selflessness
Where “me” becomes “we”
And we live and love accordingly

Lord, deliver me from
myself

No comments:

Post a Comment